Thursday, November 17, 2011

Continuing the Engine Work Saga and The Bride Returns

Ann is here after her Michigan visit with her folks!   Woo hoo!   Plus, our friends Chris and Sheila (CS) arrived in St. Marys Monday after spending the weekend at Cumberland Island.  Monday, I ate dinner with them, Tuesday, the three of us went to West Marine then picked up Ann at the airport then went out for dinner and grocery shopping.
 
Ann and I were going to stay at a motel but are staying on the boat, at least for now.  Ann's parents are coming, we may go stay at the same motel to be closer to them.
 
Well, I promised the saga of continuing engine work, so here it is:
 
Saturday, I lifted the engine with a frame set in place above it and a long bungee cord (about 100 feet) wrapped around about 20 times to the engine hoist point.  Each of the 40 strands was tensioned to about 10 pounds and the engine rose.  I then was able to attempt to remove the motor mounts for replacement.   The bolts were extremely tight, I stripped one head with a bad socket, one broke because the stainless steel corroded and another busted because it would not budge.  The good news was that five came out.   Monday morning I called Island Packet and found out that there was a steel plate embedded in the fiberglass so I drilled and tapped holes next to the broken bolts and was still able to place the motor mounts in the same place.  I then undid the bungee loops and lowered the engine onto the new mounts.   By then it was Tuesday and time to pick up Ann.  Lots of angst involved in the motor mount job.
 
Today, Wednesday the 16th, I hooked up the drive shaft,  re-installed the new fuel filters, installed the lift pump, connected up the fuel lines.  I then tested the pump, by turning it on to fill up both filters.  Success, no leaks so far.   I am so tired tonight.
 
Remaining items on the "engine" agenda are to connect up the exhaust manifold (the current connection is poor, I am waiting for a new piece), to re-mount the coolant reservoir (the old mount is destroyed by corrosion) and to replace all the engine hoses.  Definitely, a couple of days more of this work, once I get all the parts.
 
The weather has been gorgeous with highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s except for yesterday with hot humid weather heralding the approaching thunderstorms last night.  Today is overcast and warm just the way the noseeums love it.
 
Today may be a cleanup day plus some light work, first I need to get motivated.  Right now I am just tired.
 
Have fun,
 
Ed

No comments: