Saturday, November 12, 2011

Boatyard Progress Report #3

Adding it up and counting Monday, this is the sixth day in the yard.  Overall, my progress is about what I planned but I sure hope I finish two of the three engine jobs by the time Ann gets in on Tuesday!
 
I've got three things going on for our Yanmar 44HP engine:
1. Replace the motor mounts.  Tomorrow, I plan to tackle this job.   Today I picked up the bungee cord and wood frame for lifting the engine.  I also cleaned the engine and loosened the motor mount bolts.
2.  Install a new dual-fuel filter and lift pump.  I installed both today but need one new hose and an adapter which I will pick up on Monday.  I also need to provide power to the lift pump but that is merely reattaching of the old lift pump's wires.  This job is 90% complete.
3. Replace all the water hoses, hose clamps and oil cooler.  I am waiting on all the parts for the water hoses, oil cooler and hose clamps.  They will not even be ordered until Monday so I probably will not have the parts until Thursday.   I call this job at about 50% complete.
 
The weather stripping I installed around the hatches doesn't want to fully stick so I have to go to Plan B, whatever that is. 
 
I tried and failed at my attempt to radically improve the anchor hawse pipe though I made an incremental improvement just by moving things around.  Last year the chain sometimes did not go down the pipe leading to jamming but that was probably due to the links not moving slowly due to the fresh galvanic coating which bound links together.  So, I will call this done and keep my fingers crossed.
 
Ken "varnish boy" Hix has the first coat on the toe rails and they are looking good.
 
The weather continues to be sunny and mild, lows in the 40s and highs in the 70s.   
 
It is time to make dinner and clean the place up. All for now,
 
Ed

No comments: