Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Boatyard 11/8/2011

I arrived in the boatyard November 7th after spending a 6 days in Boston with Ann visiting our eldest daughter Rachel plus our very good friends and former neighbors Sue and Bob Welna. Ann will join me November 15th after spending time in Michigan with family and friends.

First impressions upon seeing Windswept Dreams for the first time since May are good. The dehumidifier we used (first time) kept the insides mold free.

The rental car is now full of stuff that was shipped here including boxes from home. And the work has begun...

The first chore was to determine why when using shore power the onshore GFI usually tripped. This happens when unequal currents flow in the hot and neutral lines. The answer was simple, Island Packet used to tie them together at the breaker panel. That is a no-no because the current then leaks from the boat thru the engine and any other metal tied into boat ground. Also, stray current flows because the onshore ground voltage may be slightly different than in the water around the boat causing stray current. On the other hand, when using the generator or inverter then the reference ground for the neutral side must be the onboard ground. All is good now.

I called people about canvas work, one was too busy, another did not call back and the third did not show up. I'll try again tomorrow.

I took the tarp off the boat and installed one of the new hatch sunscreen/flyscreens, the big one in the main cabin. I will have to put some foam around the edges, the arch of the cabin top leaves a gap but these Oceanair SKYSCREENS look very good. The job entails taking of the old trim ring, assembling the Skyscreen and screwing it into the ceiling. The first took three hours but I think I can cut it to about an hour apiece.

As if I don't have enough jobs, I remembered that I also need to extend the chain tube in the chain locker so that it will feed the chain correctly to the wide part of the locker, last year it sometimes jammed. It is made of 3" PVC so it should be pretty easy.

That is it for today, tomorrow I plan to get started on the refrigerator lift spring. I will also install another Skyscreen.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: