Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Man of War Bay, Nairn Cay

2-03-09
We moved over from Double Breasted Cay this morning due to the forecast for north winds as did 8 other boats. This is one of the few anchorages protected in north quadrant winds which we expected today and especially tomorrow. Indeed the wind has shifted to 330 degrees, tomorrow we expect 15-20K winds.

We snorkeled today. I said that I would not spear any fish today, that i was only after lobster but, my resolve melted when I spotted a nice hogfish, said to be "outstanding" and possibly one of the best fishes anywhere. Yesterday I speared, or should I say slung speared, a nice margate which is rated "good" for flavor having somewhat a fishy taste. We had it for two meals today so you know it was not too bad. Tomorrow we will eat the hogfish. Mmmmm.

The area we snorkeled today had a forest of elkhorn coral (resembles antlers) and there was a carpet of 6-9" yellow grunt plus myriad other species. It was fantastic and we are enthused to go out again tomorrow.

2-01-09 Ragged Island
We went to a superbowl party at a bonefishing lodge they are building in Duncan Town. We had no idea that there would be so many people and so much good food (lobster, conch, chicken) plus munchies bought by the cruisers. It was a great game too. We got back to the boat around 10:30, one of the locals lived near the dinghy beach and gave us a ride. No one would let us walk to or from, they simply go out of their way to make us feel welcome.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

2 comments:

JHWilkins said...

Have you had a chance to visit the cave on Flamingo Cay? Sure hope we get to visit you next winter. There is not enough sun up here. Sounds like you are getting quite adept at your Hawaiian sling ED.

Do you still like Conch?

John W.

fathercarl said...

What an adventure. I wouldn't think of doing this at my age,but I do admire the spirit of "derring-do" these two have. One could find the list of negative consequences to be daunting. A conservative minded individual, like myself,would soon convince himself of the folly of such an adventure. Sadly I had to reach this age to realize that attitude prevented me from enjoying life to the fullest. After all that is all there really is; memories, when one reaches the age of frailty.