Sunday, February 8, 2009

Feb. 8-Racoon Cay-House Bay

We moved to the other side of Raccoon Cay to House Bay to gain protection from the 16 kph east winds. We are still traveling with 3 other boats, WindLass, Kokomo and Poco Loco. It is a nice calm bay that provides us with opportunities to work on boat projects; including varnishing, shining stainless steel, doing laundry by hand in very minimum water and our usual cooking. We carry 150 gallons of water using about 3 per day. Ed and I are also cutting each others hair. With the remoteness of these islands we are learning to do many things and depend on

We enjoyed a hike on Raccoon Cay yesterday venturing to the ocean side of the island to observe the 6-8 foot waves and thankful to be in our bay. I'm learning to hunt for hamburger and heart beans. I also look for palm fronds so I can continue my basket weaving. Wow do baskets take a long time to weave. I'm also enjoying doing some cake baking for our group evening gatherings to play dominoes, exchange books, watch a movie or just visit and watch the sunset.

Snorkeling has been an event almost daily for the past 4 days with Ed honing his hunting skills. No longer is he satisfied with his mole catching abilities but he is now a food provider. I also participated in the food capturing.
We both really enjoy lobster which lurk in the holes around reefs. Ed is very adept at diving and peering into the holes or spotting an antenna protruding from a rock and uses his Hawaiian Sling to spearfish. Normally I'm a bystander but yesterday as a very large lobster was escaping from the other side of the reef I alerted my hunter and he brought up the lobster. He caught 3 lobster yesterday. He now has the title of "Great Hunter" in the group of 3 other boats that we are traveling with.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: